Saturday 24 March 2007

Speedy Boarding revisited

I added Speedy Boarding to an existing Easyjet booking. There is no option to add this one way only, although it is priced separately. Total cost £10.

On departure our privileged position only meant we were first onto a bus, so the speedy boarders hung around near the front door. Which was a shame because when we reached the plane only the back door was opened, so we ended up last off.

In Murcia, at check-in in I asked the girl if my boarding card was marked for Speedy Boarding, after it hadn't been on a previous flight in Toulouse. She took it back and marked a big SB on it. The flight was called while we were eating so I was late to the gate, again. The attendant saw my boarding and said they had called Speedy boarding earlier. I agreed, but pointed out that it is unusual to call a flight 45 minutes before departure. She thought for a moment then invited me to follow her through another gate, marching me round to the very front of the boarding queue. Within minutes we were invited onto the plane, and I had a choice of every seat.

So with Easyjet's speedy boarding the moral of the story seems to be: It can be worthwhile, but there are no guarantees. Check your boarding card is marked, and keep your confirmation email to prove you have paid for it. And smile broadly if it all works out and you get four inches of extra legroom!